I asked myself a question today at my daughter’s 5th grade graduation… Am I smarter than a 5th grader? Not before that first cup of coffee certainly, not! Okay, I’ll admit that I’ve got a hard time naming the countries on the African Continent. Cut me some slack though they change weekly! What I ended up doing here is comparing what I knew when I was in her shoes.
- When I was in the 5th grade we worried about the USSR. She thinks the USSR must be one of mom’s Star Trek ships.
- In 5th grade we passed notes that said “Do you like Johnny, circle Y or N”. Now notes are texts that say “Do you like Johnny? DM me”
- My 5th grade teacher used to send a note home asking for a Parent/Teacher conference. Now I get an email asking if I have time to Skype!
- Pluto was a planet when I was in 5th grade. Now, it’s status is debatable. And who the heck ever heard of Haumea?
- As a 5th grader I salivated over the Sony Walkman ($19). My daughter wants and iPad! ($499)
- We had, word problems, fractions and formulas. I need a freaking tutor just to keep up with the new vocabulary for Math!
- I couldn’t wait for summer, lazy days and road trips. Now they have summer camps, enrichment programs and little down time.
Oh how times, maps, technology and the 5th grader have changed.